April 21, 2010

How to make a hexagon quilt

So far I have hand quilted nine flowers and all the hexagons in between.
I thought I would share with you how I made my hexagon quilt.
First my DH drew and cut out my hexagon template for me.
Then I traced the hexagon on recycled printer paper.
I laid the paper on my fabric and basted it to the fabric.
I cut out the hexagon leaving a one forth inch seam allowance all around the hexagon.
I folded over the seam allowance using the paper as my guide and basted the edges down to the paper.

I butt the edges together and whip stitch them.
This is what it looks like on the front side.
I might make a little sewing kit like this one to carry with me in my purse.
This is a great project to carry with you.
I like having my thread wound on a bobbin so that it is convenient to  carry in my tin.

I am hoping that I can finish it by the end of July.
It is a full size quilt with a two foot hang on either side and enough length to cover the pillows.

I will talk more about the pattern in my next post.

7 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

Beautiful flower, I like the variety and great directions.

Will surely be an awesome quilt.

Erika C. said...

Wow! I really want to learn how to make quilts. I know I will eventually. Thanks for this.

And thanks for visiting my blog.

love,
Erika

Lynn Cohen said...

Oh what a lot of artwork!
I love traveling piece work too, but not sure I'd have the patience for this particular project. Too many pieces that have to meet up exactly...You can be very proud of your creation, as it is very very beautiful and I admire you for doing it and it for how it came out.

Kari said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love your sense of color, that lovely blue-green with the black pieces adding a dramatic touch to the whole. I always think a touch of black enhances all the other colors. And I loved the comment you left for me ~ so endearing ~ thank you so much for taking the time you add your story to my post. I love finding out about people's dreams and how they came true. xo Kari

Quilt Architect said...

Thank you Lynn and Kari, it is so nice to share what I am doing. I am so blessed with this community of artist. You both are an inspiration to me...Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. They mean a lot to me.

Anonymous said...

The quilt is beautiful! I love your little travel kit you have put together. I usually throw my stuff into a zip lock bag but, I like this little tin can set up. Perfect for the purse :)

Erika C. said...

Haven't heard from you in a while. How are you? I have been busy and still trying to sort out problems with my e-mail and internet connection.

I wish I knew more about computer stuff.

love,
Erika